Fort Seward was established in 1898, the last of 11 military posts in Alaska built to maintain order during the Klondike Gold Rush. Originally a tent camp, it wasn't permanently garrisoned until 1902. The fort included about 85 wood frame buildings around a parade grounds. It had no fortifications. From 1925 to 1940 it was the only military post in Alaska. This shows officers' row.
The commanding officer lived in this building. Since the facility was sold to private investors in 1947, it was converted to a hotel. The Halsingford Hotel is still there and includes a seafood restaurant.
Most of the officers' homes are now duplexes. One calls itself a condo.
Some of the buildings are in very good repair; others need at least a good coat of paint. One needed a chimney repair and another probably needs some roof work.
Each of the duplexes has a pretty oval window on one end.
Decommissioned in 1940, the fort was purchased by several World War II veterans and their families in 1947. This 1928 cannon (or gun?) is located on the parade grounds.
An 1861 breech-loading cannon sits in front of the former post office and switchboard.
This neat 1930 automobile is displayed in front of another building.
Once the post hospital, this building now houses the Indian Arts Council. Post doctors were allowed to subsidize their army pay by treating civilians from the area.