This was the view out of our RV window this morning. Even though this RV park is in the city and I-90 is just up the hill, these deer were enjoying browsing on the grass and tree.
On our way to Wal Mart for groceries, we stopped to see the Historic Sheridan Inn. The building has 69 gables and Buffalo Bill Cody was once part-owner of the Inn. He conducted tryouts for his Wild West Shows from the wrap-around porch. Ernest Hemingway also spent time there.
This painted pony is on the porch of the Sheridan Inn.
Across the street is this 4-8-4 engine from the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy RR. (Especially for Barbara and Sam)
Sheridan has a number of statues around the downtown area. We saw this one today. It sits in front of the Wells Fargo Bank and is named "Riding Out a Bad Investment.
After lunch we visited the Sheridan County Museum. After more than a year of volunteering most of the time, we are having to relearn how to be tourist. The museum is extremely well-done and tells the story of the sugar beet industry, logging and railroads that have had such an impact on the development of this area. Are there still drug stores with this sign out front?
The impact of the railroad was illustrated by this sign. The display said it took 3,500 men and 1,300 teams to ready the land in town and lay the tracks. They moved over 10,000 cubic yards of earth, equal to 1,300 truckloads of dirt. Manually moving this dirt was no small task. Each yard was moved by a horse-drawn slip, a wide shovel with two handles that dug up each yard individually, and then dumped by hand at the dump site. When the land was ready, workers laid 3,200 ties a day, the equivalent to one mile.
Sheridan has been voted #1 Western Town in America and all western towns need rodeos. Look at this poster for the 1931 rodeo here.
When Wyoming celebrated it's centennial in 1990, this quilt was made to show some of the cattle brands in the state.
This diorama shows the Tongue River Tie Flume, built to move lumber down from the mountainside to where it could be used or shipped. It was in use from 1893 to 1913. What an amazing innovation and effort that was!