Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wildlife, Big and Small

Last Sunday we were walking near one of the wildlife ponds when we saw something small, moving away from every step we took. Spiders? Beetles? No, it was these tiny frogs. I don't know if they were tree frogs or ones that spend a lot of time in water. I wish I had put something in the photo to give a perspective on their size. I think they were less than one inch long.



There were lots of moths flying around. When I was a child, we called these bugs darning needles or dragon flies. I don't know their real name. But these were pretty.



Later, we came on this large foot print. We are pretty sure it was left by a bear. Glad we didn't see it up close!



On Monday morning, when we went to work, we found trash spread all over around one of the dumpsters. We picked it up and bagged it. A little later, Lou from maintenance called other workers from his department to the campground to pick up more trash. He said a bear had gotten into a bear-proof dumpster and pulled out trash to eat. The bear had taken it behind some rocks for sorting. We went to help with the clean-up and found more tracks like those above. John had gone running on the road right next to that dumpster earlier that morning. We wonder what time the bear had his or her snack?

Yesterday, I heard something whistling outside our RV and went to investigate. Was it a bird or some mammal? When I figured it out, I quickly went back in to get my camera. This is the bird I saw, a Swainson's Hawk. They are 18 to 22 inches tall with a wing span of 4 to 4 3/4 ft. How special!







Later in the morning, we were in a different part of the park and I again heard the whistle. This time I saw some black birds chasing one of these hawks. Each time one of the small birds attacked the hawk's tail, it would whistle. They chased it back to its nest in a large cottonwood tree in the group campground. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me at that time.

It is so wonderful to spend our life surrounded by nature and so many of God's creatures. That is one of the real blessings of living in our RV.

2 comments:

  1. We feel the same way. There are so many interesting creatures out there.
    This summer in Missouri we've been picking up trash from the racoons and some bad campers, but no bears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the bear get into the bear proof dumpster? Tell John to carry bear spray when he runs.

    ReplyDelete