Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Working With Wood

We finally found some time to work in our shop. It has been two years since we did any intarsia projects. John wanted to refresh his skills before making something complicated. First, he made a fish, all out of one piece of wood.


He is working on a butterfly out of three different woods. It is more difficult to get the pieces to fit when they come from different pieces of wood.


For the past two years, he has been carving large figures for a nativity scene. He finally finished enough to make a display. First he had to paint them. We display them in a window in the shop. They look great, I think. Unfortunately, the photos have some reflections.


I got some experience with my new lathe. I made a candle holder from a piece of birch and a box out of some of the aspen we gathered this summer. I look forward to having time to make more bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment