Monday, December 20, 2021

Boxes, Boxes, Boxes Everywhere

 When our children were young, I remember having boxes and wrapping paper everywhere after gifts were opened on Christmas day.  Today, there aren't that many empty boxes and those we have are smaller than those that held children's toys.  

However, we still have many boxes around our winter home.  These are all made of wood.  John has made most of them. This 8-sided box is one of 5 he has turned.  Notice the small cord coming out of the left side of the box.  This is where I store my hearing aids when I am not wearing them.  The charger fits in the box--actually, the box was made to accommodate the charger.  John also has rechargeable hearing aids, as do our son Eric and his wife Liz and John's sister Cindy.


This is a gentleman's jewelry box.  


Here you can see the various crosses John stores in his box.


Here are three more boxes he has made.  The top one is my jewelry box.  It has a different eagle than the one on John's box.

The second box has turquoise inlay in the hearts on the lid.  The bottom box has an inlaid cross.




This box is marked with an L and R.  It was made to store the hearing aids John had that aren't rechargeable.  Our rechargable ones are color coded for right and left.  The battery hearing aids aren't so the letter make it easy to know where they belong. The bottom box shows the interior of the box holding the charger.


John isn't the only person making boxes.   The two on the left I made, using the band saw.  The triangle John made on the scroll saw.  The separate piece on the top is used to cover 2 interior compartments while you retrieve the items in the third compartment.  



He made me one that is heart shaped.  I use it to store my earrings.  Believe me, that extra piece means I don't have to either dump out all the earrings to get what I want or use tweezers to pick out the small items.


This is the box and the special pieces that each cover two compartments of earrings so I can empty out the third compartment.
 

This stunning box is made of padauk, a red colored wood, with turquoise inlay.  

One of my band saw boxes.

I really like this star-shaped box.  We have included it in our nativity set display for Christmas.  (It is an awfully large star compared to the manger and stable in those sets, but it does (sort of) make sense.


                                        

Here are three more boxes John has made. 





No comments:

Post a Comment