Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Who Knew There Was So Much Needing Repair?

Each fall when we return to Arizona, we schedule check-ups with all our medical providers.  As we get older, there are more and more providers and it takes a while to get them all scheduled.  And this year, there was one more—John felt I should have my hearing checked.

So, when all was said and done, the relatively minor ache in my right knee led to a total knee replacement.  And not long after, the hearing test revealed I really can’t hear very well and hearing aides were ordered.

A one-night stay in the hospital and I came home with a new knee.  I am up to walking over three miles a day.  It is a little sore but getting better each day.

The hearing aides are taking some adjusting to.  I didn’t realize the world was such a noisy place.  Even toilet paper is noisy.  So is walking across the floor or over gravel.  Doors slam easily and LOUD. The clock on the wall might as well be Big Ben in London with all the noise it makes. How many of you have experienced these reactions, too?

John has been wearing hearing aides for nearly 30 years, so he can commiserate and tell me which irritations I will learn to live with or not notice.  But, frankly, walking is easier than hearing correctly.

Getting old has it’s down side, but I can count my blessings.  First off, I live in a time and have the resources to get these issues taken care of.  And nothing is life threatening.  I can’t say as much for some of our neighbors here.  We are really blessed to live in a time and a country where issues like this can be corrected—or at least improved.  And we are also blessed to have the insurance to pay for it. Thank God for Medicare. 

Merry Christmas everyone!  Surely 2020 will end and 2021 will be a better year.  We hope and pray you all stay healthy during this pandemic.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing better and will hopefully continue to do so.
    Ba Safe and Enjoy a Merry Christmas together.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to both of you. Hope you have safe and healthy and great time at Christmas.

      Delete
  2. We too are glad we live in these times, if not this pandemic would have so much worse. Glad you're doing better, sounds like the knee is doing well if you're out doing 3 miles a day on it.
    Have a safe and healthy holiday season. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, as well. We had a quiet day with good phone visits with our sons and their families. Hope you had a good Christmas, too.

      Delete
  3. I hear that knee replacement recovery is no fun. You're very brave.

    ReplyDelete