Monday, July 09, 2012

Alaska -- Day 54

I don't know if you can make it out in this photo, but we woke up this morning to find frost on out truck! The overnight low was 32 degrees.



After it warmed up some, we drove up to Denali National Park, where we picked up our tickets to ride on the 6 AM shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center, 66 miles into the park. It will be an 8-hour round trip. We hope to see good views of Denali and some wildlife.

After picking up the tickets, we went to the visitor center, then hiked the Taiga trail through a great forest.



We checked out the shops along the Parks Highway just north of the national park. We saw lots of everyday commercial tourist stores. Lots of raft trips, flights around Denali, t-shirts and Alaskan-made gifts.



We only made one purchase, bowls of ice cream. I had moose tracks (vanilla with fudge swirls and Reese's Peanut Butter chips. John was his normal adventuresome self, choosing vanilla.



We don't have a good internet connection, so I will only post tomorrow if I am able to upload good photos.

1 comment:

  1. I just got caught up on your blog after missing it for several days. Moose tracks is one of my favorite I'm loving your trip.

    ReplyDelete