Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Day at the Zoo

We had so much fun with our grandson John at the Denver Zoo in September that we decided to visit the Phoenix Zoo yesterday. You can read about the earlier visit here. One big city zoo isn't that different from another, but here in Phoenix there are more African and tropical animals and they are in outdoor exhibits, not behind glass to protect them from winter cold.

We have seen lots of Prairie Dogs, but the ones we saw yesterday were about the fattest I remember. Maybe it's because they are eating carrots?



This Gila Monster isn't nearly as nice. But I hope I never see one up any closer, since they are poisonous, like some snakes.



We are aware that Burrowing Owls live at Casa Grande Ruins, where we volunteer. But this is the best view we've had of one. He (she?) is pretty cute.



Not as cute, but very regal and impressive is this Golden Eagle. It looks like he is posing for me.



You know we love cats. Doesn't this one look sweet? Don't you want to go and pet it? Well, maybe not. Mountain Lions aren't really very cuddly.



It is easy to spot Turkey Buzzards in this country. But they aren't nearly as imposing as this Ruppell's Griffon Vulture from Africa.



There is a family of Mountain Sheep that live on a hillside behind the zoo. It was fun to see them contentedly sunning themselves in the middle of the city.



This Baboon is sitting there looking like a wise old man.



Through the years, we've seen lots of pink plastic Flamingos. But I think this may have been the first time I have been up close to live ones. When they spread their wings, they show bright pink feathers and some black. But most of the time, they are white with just a touch of pink.



What a treat to see this young Zebra drinking it's mother's milk. I don't think I've ever seen a Zebra with stripes all down its legs, have you?



I have no idea what kind of bird this is, but it is the brightest, most intense blue I think I have ever seen. God has created so many interesting, fun, and beautiful creatures, hasn't he?



One cage held a group of Mexican Wolves. They look a lot like coyotes, but we watched them pace around and stalk one another. We guessed there was a struggle over who was the leader of the pack. This is another animal I don't want to meet in the wild.



I've seen lots of monkeys in zoos, but this was the first time I had been able to go into an enclosure and see them up close. This is a squirrel monkey and they jump from branch to branch, just like squirrels. They sure are cute.



And I leave you with a view of the most impressive long-horn cattle I have ever seen. They are Watusi cattle from Africa. I wonder if they have Saguaro cactus in Africa, too?

1 comment:

  1. You got some great pictures. I guess I'm going to have to go to the zoo. Those flamingos need more shrimp in their diet.

    ReplyDelete