Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nature Lover

One of the things I love most about living in our RV is that it puts us more in touch with nature. I am even more aware of loving that when we park in a commercial RV park after almost a month of state and Corps of Engineers parks. Briarcliffe RV here in Myrtle Beach, SC, is nice. But it doesn't compare with Skidamore Island State Park, Savannah, GA.

Sunday night we were treated to over an hour of lightning flashing, thunder rumbling and crashing and rain beating on the roof. And you can really hear the rain when you are in a metal box. I know we would experience a thunderstorm anywhere, not just in a state park. It is a part of the natural world I enjoy anywhere, as long as I am dry and there are no tornado threats.


For two nights at Skidamore Island I heard a bird in the middle of the night, something that doesn't usually happen in the city. The first night I thought it might be a Whip-poor-will, something I had only read about. The next morning I looked it up in my Audubon Society handbook and was pretty sure I had been correct. There is another bird with a similar call, a Chuck-will's-widow. Both birds are rarely seen and are heard only at night. The second night I listened carefully to the call and realized it contained four syllables, not three. That means is was a Chuck-will's-widow. Who on earth has heard of a bird with a name like that?

We live in a house with about 350 square feet of space, so having a large, private front yard full of birds, squirrels and tall trees really improves our living space. And that living room keeps changing every few days. Does life get any better than this?

I have been reading a book, Amish Peace by Suzanne Woods Fisher. Last week I read, "The God who created all of this beauty and grace must be a wonderful and loving being." and "I promise myself to make a daily appointment with nature to remind myself of Whose capable hands are in charge of this earth." p. 188. Living and traveling in our RV makes keeping a daily appointment with nature easier that living in our stick house.

No comments:

Post a Comment