Monday, July 16, 2018

It Isn't Fair

I had the shot, at the right age, when my doctor recommended it.  And I still got shingles!

If you  are of a certain age, you are probably aware that, if you had chicken pox as a child, you are susceptible to getting shingles after the age of 50.  When I turned 60 (I think) I was vaccinated against shingles.

During the last week I started itching on one place on my lower right back.  It got worse and worse, no matter what I put on it.  If we weren't leaving next week for England I probably would have waited a week or more, hoping it would go away.  Because of that trip, we made a visit to the local urgent care this morning.

I reported I had a rash or a bite on my back.  Once glance by the PA and she said, that is shingles.  Not what I wanted to hear.  But it surely isn't the end of the world.  She gave me a prescription for 10 days of medication.  And she told me that should help control it.  I hope the attack is milder because of my earlier medication.

At least I am not going to some third-world country.  If it doesn't clear up, I can get more treatment in England.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes life isn't fair, I'm sure our DR will be bringing up the shingles shot when we go for our visits this winter. Hope it gets under control before your trip.

    ReplyDelete