Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Milestones

At the age of 6, we begin first grade. At 16, we can get our driver's license. At 21 we "come of age", and it may mean we can legally drink alcoholic beverages. Then comes 30--are we really over the hill? Medicare begins at 65. This year is another milestone for both John and me. This year, we turn 70. Think of it! When we were in our 20s, did we even contemplate the age of 70 or think about what it would mean in our own lives? If anyone was that old, it was our grandparents. Now we have reached it.

We are both physically active and in good health. We look and feel a lot younger than lots of our peers. But 70 is also a reality--both physically and mentally. We will probably still be trying to understand what it means when we turn 71.

We tried to figure out some special thing to do to celebrate our birthdays together. But nothing seemed to really appeal to both of us. So yesterday, we celebrated John's birthday (which comes along in 2 weeks) by buying him a new generation iPad with a keyboard.



This means I get the old iPad, reserving my laptop for tasks like this blog and finances. We may have a small home and a simple lifestyle, but it comes with lots of great electronics.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you both! wishing you a very healthy, happy and fun year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how much younger 70 sounds than it used to. I remember that when I was little, I realized I would be 48! in the year 2000. I couldn't imagine how old that was. I think I even wondered if I would still be alive by then.

    Happy Birthday, you guys. You know how young you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful celebration together!!!

    ReplyDelete