Friday, May 13, 2011

A Frustrating Time

For more than 15 years I have worn a pedometer almost every day, aiming to take 10,000 steps a day. The first goal was to keep active and maybe lose some weight. Then, nine years ago I lost 35 pounds that I had gained after quitting smoking. The 10,000 steps a day helped keep it off. I enjoy being this active.

That has made the past few days very frustrating. Monday my right knee started to bother me. I have no idea what I did. Perhaps I over extended my knee. By the end of the day Tuesday, when I had put on 11,641 steps, the knee hurt every time I put weight on that leg. Something needed to be done. And that something was to rest. Wednesday, I wrapped the knee with an ace bandage and spent the entire day inside the trailer, reading and surfing the internet and updating our finances. I only logged 734 steps that day! And usually a day with 6,000 or 7,000 steps disappoints me.

By Thursday, there was some improvement, even though I walked 4,036 steps. Today, I have hit 5,400 steps. The knee is still wrapped when I am out and about, but it is improving. But I need to be patient for a few more days before I resume my regular routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment