Saturday night, when the bank's fraud division called, I was told it would be 7 to 10 days before we received new cards. Yesterday, I called them to find out what would happen to the charges we had made before someone used the stolen card numbers. I was told the new cards had been sent UPS and would arrive today. And they did!
That means it was only 4 days with no credit card. And I learned that all the legitimate charges would go onto the new card, so I won't have so many people to contact and send checks to.
This afternoon I spent two hours changing card numbers on all the accounts that are paid electronically by our credit card--everything from insurance to the newspaper subscription to Kindle books from Amazon. I think I did it all.
We are so pleased with how the bank has responded in all of this. First, they discovered the fraud. We don't know how. But the two fraudulent charges were denied and nothing hit our account. Second, they have explained everything to us and have sent new cards to us in record time, considering the problem was discovered on a weekend and Monday was a holiday. It has taken some of my time, but everything is back to normal--we hope.