Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A Gourding We Did Go

Sunday, after church, we drove a few miles to the Wuertz Gourd Fest at the Pinal County Fairgrounds. We attended the event last year for the first time and were so impressed with the fine art work we saw there, we knew we didn't want to miss it this year. It is just amazing what people can do with gourds. They really are just a canvas for all sorts of artist expression.

First we saw this diorama that is made with gourds. I love the Gambel Quail and hope the buzzard doesn't get them.







This artist did fine painting on their gourds.



This project is called "Keeper of the Pots" and was done by the Southwest Gourd Association. Each member made one of the pots sitting at the feet of the Keeper.



This is another project of the Southwest Gourd Association. It is a "quilt" in the form of the State of Arizona.



I think this vase is really beautiful. And I am amazed at how much work was involved. I talked to the artist and she said each hole was drilled and shaped, one at a time. She estimated the project took at least 80 hours to complete.



The bottom gourd has some kind of thread woven over it.



These wreaths are so bright and colorful.



To see more pictures of the gourd festival, check out the post I did on last year's event.

We even bought three gourds to try our own projects. I hope to cut off the top of the large gourd and use the bottom for a fruit bowl. John wants to paint the two small gourds.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is fascinating! I love the vase. I wonder how many were attempted before coming out with one that did not break? Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the link to the Confessions blog? I would like to take a look at the photos. Thanks Carol and John!

    ReplyDelete